WARNING: Geeky HTML and Makefile stuff in this post will render
your eyeballs glassy if you’re not into that sort of thing.
I have been trying for weeks to create a workflow that allows me to
edit my manuscript
in Markdown format and
then, with a simple command, generates all of the document formats I
need to publish my book. That way I can create review copies and send
them out, get feedback and make the changes I want, and then do it
again — all in a precisely correct, reproducible way. Yesterday, in
a long session, I managed to get the tools to do what I want. Maybe
sharing this will help someone someday?
The requirements I had were:
No manual steps at all. Just edit the manuscript and type
to get all of the required output files, ready to print or upload
to Amazon, Google, Apple, my own Kindle, or whatever.
Allow me to tag text with classes in my manuscript so I can
include things like a real title page in a title-page-y font, a
haiku, emails or text messages formatted so they look like they
would on a computer screen, or even a THE END at the end of my
story that is more than just some bold text on a line by itself. I
wanted control over my inline and block element classes so I could
do custom CSS for these special things.
Let me include fonts in the output files, minimized to just the
glyphs I use in my manuscript and ready to be used by the eBook
reader if the user wishes it.
I use Python Markdown
to generate HTML from the Markdown formatted
manuscript and Calibre‘s
command to do the multi-format conversion, taking my HTML, CSS, and
font files as input and generating EPUB, AZW3, PDF, and maybe MOBI
Even though I could have Calibre invoke it for me, I use the Python
Markdown tool directly. I was having trouble getting Calibre to turn
on the Markdown extensions I needed, and I just decided to Hell with
it. Don’t get me wrong — Calibre is a wonderful tool, and I thank
the obviously brilliant Kovid Goyal
for creating it for us all to use. By all means, if you use Calibre,
please consider donating some money or some code. The Markdown
extensions I ended up needing for Dying to Live Forever
output of the Python Markdown step is an HTML file with inline and
block element classes I can style using my CSS to make everything look
just the way I want it.
Some notes about Calibre, in case anyone wonders why I did things the way I did.
First, I couldn’t find a way to get Calibre to substitute my scene
breaks with what I wanted. The HTML file I gave Calibre used simple
<hr />, but nothing I did — and I tried for quite a while —
seemed to be able to trick Calibre into substituting what I wanted,
<div class="hr">&larr;&nbsp;&rarr;</div>. So I
just brute-forced this using a global search-and-replace operation on
the HTML before I gave it Calibre to handle the rest.
Second, as I mentioned before, I couldn’t get Calibre to use the
extensions I wanted to pass to
markdown_py, so I just brute forced
After the Markdown conversion, I run
ebook-convert for each file
format I need. Today I have EPUB and AZW3 formats, but I expect to add
PDF soon so I can give a dead trees copy of the book to some folks who
don’t use eBook readers. Along the way, this dead trees format was
very nice for marked up review copies with scribbles everywhere for
comments and corrections.
This ZIP file contains the Makefile and CSS I
used. I used Calibre version 2.4 and Python Markdown version 2.4
Comment and share